Thursday, February 16, 2006

My Senegalese Family

Not much Valentine’s Day festivities going on in Senegal. The holiday came and past what out seeing any pink and red decorations, V-day cards or boxes of chocolate… didn’t even spot one single heart. No matter, over the years I lost my attachment to this commercially created holiday. I was quite satisfied with the explosive grin on Mor’s face when I offered him a box of chocolate covered cookies. Though, I did decide to treat myself to a bottle of red wine… Senegalese wine. Kinda tasted like cranberry juice with a kick. Not incredibly delicious.

I am very grateful for having Mady, Fatou and Mor next door. Fatou speaks French about as well as I speak Wolof so communication isn’t always very clear, but we understand each other. She has different clucks (which are common here) for answering yes, for saying she agrees, for sympathizing, etc. Anyway, this evening she prepared another fabulous feast… a huge salad with lots of savory levels and topped with whole fried fish. I thanked them for their kind invitation to dinner saying “it’s kind of sad cooking for just yourself and then eating all alone”. Mady exclaims “ooooh yes!, it is even sad for us when it is just us three! We are used to having company. And life is just too short, too short!”. Fatou clucks.

I asked Fatou if her muscles ache… like I said before, I never see the woman stop working. “Cluck, EnnHeeem!” She points to her ankles and her shoulders. So, as a gesture of respect and appreciation I gave her a foot massage one night and a shoulder massage another. For those who know me well, it is my specialty and something I honestly enjoy doing for others. Though, I could tell Fatou was a little uncomfortable. This might have been her first ever massage. But once I loosened up her knotted back a bit, she relaxed. She has an amazingly small bone structure but with very solid muscles. She is 37 but has legs of a 21 year old!

The family is very religious, quite pious. Having been familiarized with Islam and its practices it is not a cultural shock. Except for one thing. Polygamy. Mady loves to make jokes. When I said, “Oh Mady, you are so lucky to have a wife that cooks so well, everything she makes is delicious!” He replies, “yes, but imagine if I had two! ” Geez.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

On Polygomy:

It is much better for a man to have two wives, if he can afford it, because the women can split the housework in half. It is beneficial to the whole family, and gives the women more free time to enjoy the smaller pleasures of life.

Sow Seeds said...

Ok but, for most folks here, 2nd and 3rd wives have their own house. And their own families. So, just as much work for the women and resources (what the hubby takes home) is divided by two or three. So, Im not seeing too much of an advantage. Plus, I have yet to find a Senegalese woman who is PRO polygamy. It's more like tolerance of an accepted norm.

Anonymous said...

So,if in real polygamy 2nd and 3rd wives have their own home, it means that polygomy is for the rich only. DISCRIMINATION!