Monday, March 27, 2006

Back home...

Mangroves of Ziguinchor
-

Phew, am I drained! I just got back in this a.m. from a 2 week trip. The first 5 days were spent in a tiny village, way out in “la brousse” … total wilderness. No electricity, only 2 water fountains, 120 degree weather, small huts, rudimentary tools. I was accompanying Fatou to her native village for her brother’s wedding, a 4 day affair. Needless to say, it was an incredible experience. Expect to hear of the adventure, hopefully by the weekend.
-
-
Groom and (second) Bride
-
Afterwards, I went off again with Albert and Karim on a few missions in Bakel (southwest Senegal) and Ziguinchor (southeast). I went along to do some filming for the volunteer video project. Luckily, there was also time for fun… we got to see tons of monkeys at the big national park Niokolo Koba and on my birthday I went out on a Senegalese canoe for some bird watching and to visit a village on an island hidden amongst mangroves. I felt like I was back in Florida… underdeveloped Florida.

So, my loyal blog fans, I hope you can make it through another week of silence… For french readers, I strongly recommend a fascinating and beautifully written book called “Une si longue lettre…” by Mariama Ba. This will help you understand the context of my experience in a Senegalese village with strong patriarchal roots and polygamist practices.

No comments: