Thursday, April 13, 2006

Intermission



LES ILES DE LA MADELEINE

I am dying to give you all ‘la suite’ of the Kissang adventure but simply can't get to it. It's crunch time for my video project. I have to get all the clips in order and ready for my brother’s arrival, which is TOMORROW. I promise to try and get it done tonight, if my brain cooperates.

Thank you for all your kind comments. I get much joy from sharing my stories and along the way, discovering my writing voice.

I did manage however to squeeze in a few moments to post some pictures. I took them on Tuesday while visiting 'les îles de la Madeleine' with my Senegalese family and a volunteer named Brice. The islands make up part of the natural reserve off the coast of Dakar. It was one of the most beautiful excursions of my life.


We reached the island by boat (seen above). I was extremely proud of Mady. Like most Africans, he does not know how to swim and is scared of large bodies of water. Knowing it would not bode well for little Mor if he showed the slightest bit of fear, he remained very calm.













There were a lot of tourists the day we went,  but we managed to find a small secluded beach. It was paradise... perfect weather, delicious picnic, cool white sand, lots of seashells hidden under sparkly black rocks...



Apparently, the last time Mor was taken to the beach, he cried the entire time. He was younger back then, and it was the first time he had seen the ocean. Mady, feeling more confident than ever after the boat ride, spent most of the time playing in the waves with his son.




The island is riddled with bird's nests. Here you see them perched in the brush with a direct view of 'les nids des hommes'.



The island, a result of volocanic activity long ago, has a grand variety of rock formations, colors and textures. Très, très jolie.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My goodness that sure is purty. Got some more stories of that place--what's the name--umm--kissangey? I shore would like to hear some more stories. Looken forward to yore next installment.

Your mostest interested fan

Hank Williams

Sow Seeds said...

Just wanted to report that Phil arrived safe and sound... though he managed to get swindled out of 20 bucks as soon as he stepped off the plane... from some guy saying their was a 'negotiating' fee for getting your luggage. My bad, I should of warned him! And, their was a luggage mix up so his bag is headed for South Africa... we are hoping to retrieve tomorrow morning.

And, sorry guys but Kissang blog is still on hold.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

tsk. tsk. tsk. Liliane Rachelle Calfee. It has been three weeks since your last entry. Your fans sit by their computers with bated breath (a few have passed out from too much bating) awaiting the next entry on kissang.

Angelina Jolie

Anonymous said...

My Lili lies over the ocean
My Lili lies over the seaaaa
My Lili lies over the ocean
So bring back my Lili to meeeee

Bring back, bring back
Oh bring back my Lili to me to me
Bring back, bring back
Oh bring back my Lili to meeeee!!!

Sow Seeds said...

Well folks, the video project is finished and I've had a sufficient amount of time to recover from the crazyness so I should be able to get back to the Kissang story shortly. Luckily, in the meantime, my dearest sister has taken over for me, providing riveting entertainment for my most loyal of blog fans.

Anonymous said...

This intermission has gone on long enough! AAAAHHHHHH!

Come on, Calfee! Start writing!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Longest intermission, ever.